+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    2,681

    How does an unimportant personal site get #1 ranking for a very common word?

    I am always very curious how a website such as this personal site http://www.kenrockwell.com/ somehow manage to achieve #1 Google ranking http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ken&aq=f&oq= out of an extremely large 145,000,000 results for the name Ken?

    I viewed the source and content and did not see anything too unusual about it. Any ideas how Ken did it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,094
    traders he has hundreds of backlinks on "ken rockwell "..the words are seperate and uniques so he gets juice even on "ken"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    2,681
    Originally posted by bidawinner
    traders he has hundreds of backlinks on "ken rockwell "..the words are seperate and uniques so he gets juice even on "ken"
    Thanks but I still find it quite surprising the site ranks #1 out of 145 million results. There must be more to it.

    How do you think the name Ken generates juice for that site as far as ranking at the top, not necessarily about traffic?

    P.S. To make the rank even more amazing I just noticed his meta tags are not good, i.e. he did not even bother to use a Description Tag which I believe is quite important with seo work, or keywords tag. He also did not use a space after Ken in the title tag which would help the ken juice, imo.

    <html>
    <head>
    <title>KenRockwell.com</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    Last edited by trader; 12-13-2008 at 04:46 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,094
    Originally posted by trader
    Thanks but I still find it quite surprising the site ranks #1 out of 145 million results. There must be more to it..

    <html>
    <head>
    <title>KenRockwell.com</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    Why is that so difficult to believe?

    It isn't like "ken" is a highly targeted word.. a Lot easier to rank on "Ken" with 145 millions results than it is on a (advertiser) competitive word/phrase


    do your search on ken again..whats missing ..above and right side

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    2,681
    Originally posted by bidawinner
    Why is that so difficult to believe?
    I beleve most domainers would find a small personal website ranking #1 out of 145,000,000 G results quite surprising. It is real odd that you find it not unusual? Yes, ads are missing but not sure why that would be a factor in ranking #1.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,094
    Originally posted by trader
    I beleve most domainers would find a small personal website ranking #1 out of 145,000,000 G results quite surprising. It is real odd that you find it not unusual? Yes, ads are missing but not sure why that would be a factor in ranking #1.
    Because there is no REAL competition on the word....it's like trying to rank on the word "is" 9 Billion results..

    You would climb right to the top with the keyword domain "is" in any extension ..IF the site has other variables like..time, backlinks that contain "is" quality of back links and freshness and quality of backlinks ..containing "is"

    in other words is your domain "is" getting quality new backlinks on a regular basis..that how algos work..

    all the variables are weighted

    Look..check out Marketleap and Alexa

    For kenrockwell.com
    ken.com
    ken.net
    ken.org

    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://kenrockwell.com

    Ken.com Pointless except for grandma looking for the old ken doll she played with as a kid..and then it's still pointless as it has girl dolls instead of the ken doll

    Ken.net
    ..Relevant for "ken" but has very little backlinks and rarley gets any new backlinks


    Ken.org pushing commodities very little conent that is about "ken" ..that's missing the keyword needed "ken" as well as worthless backlinks


    age variable ,Anchor links contains your keyword , aged links..fresh links, quality links? quantity of links domain contains keyword , content contains keyword etc...

    without even getting into quality/lack of variables that attempt to see if you are spamming , buying links etc..
    Last edited by bidawinner; 12-13-2008 at 08:27 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    2,681
    Originally posted by bidawinner

    Ken.com Pointless except for grandma looking for the old ken doll she played with as a kid..and then it's still pointless as it has girl dolls instead of the ken doll

    Ken.net
    ..Relevant for "ken" but has very little backlinks and rarley gets any new backlinks

    Ken.org pushing commodities very little content that is about "ken" ..that's missing the keyword needed "ken" as well as worthless backlinks.

    age variable ,Anchor links contains your keyword , aged links..fresh links, quality links? quantity of links domain contains keyword , content contains keyword etc...

    without even getting into quality/lack of variables that attempt to see if you are spamming , buying links etc..
    Agree to a degree, ken.com looks to be a low value and likely low income parked page with poor ads.

    ken.net is basically a small time personal photo gallery without monetization.

    but I really don't see what is wrong with Ken.org?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,094
    Originally posted by trader
    Agree to a degree, ken.com looks to be a low value and likely low income parked page with poor ads.

    ken.net is basically a small time personal photo gallery without monetization.

    but I really don't see what is wrong with Ken.org?
    Trader ken.com is not low quality..it is owned by Mattel..you know that makes the Barbie Doll (as well as the old Ken doll)

    The reason I said ken.com was pointless was because for Mattel to own it ..the page should be about the Ken Doll ..not redirected to other girl dolls

    Now the reason it doesnt rank for "ken" is..
    1. Their content has nothing to do with "Ken"
    2. There are no Anchor backlinks to the site ..using the keyword "ken"

    There is no reason to rank it for "ken" when the only postive/relational variable is the domain


    ken.org..it's junk ..it's a commodity site (webpage)by a guy name ken ..with less than a handful of links

    http://tools.marketleap.com/publinkp...dll/BuildChart

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,094
    This brings me back to one of my favorite examples..
    Candy.com..

    Instead of generating domainer traffic the past 5-6 years to Candy.com rick should have been generating candy traffic . As an advertiser I'd be pissed if I knew half the traffic was domainer garbage instead of candy traffic ..the traffic would be worth less to the advertiser with that knowledge than to for example..

    the Candywarehouse.com for example which ranks first for Candy which Candy.com COULD have easily owned that spot

    One of these names has thousands of backlinks for candy ..and one does not

    One generates a few hundred thousand candy shoppers a month ..the other one does not


    http://siteanalytics.compete.com/can...com/?metric=uv

    One ranks and the other does not

    But finally the past few months at least candy.com "looks" like a candy store now ..I guess thats progress

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    667
    The site does have Adsense in it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    2,681
    Regarding my prior post about ken.com it's odd because when I typed in the url I received a poorly done parking page (with just 1 girls barbie doll ad) instead of the Mattel site which is why I said it was a low value page. Maybe it was a typo but that makes no sense because the 2 typo possibilities ken.org and ken.net are not parked pages anyway.

    Regarding Ken.org by comparison to most other minisites it is not "junk" as you said. Please show us some of your minisites which are better for discussion purposes.

    Originally posted by bidawinner Trader ken.com is not low quality..it is owned by Mattel..you know that makes the Barbie Doll (as well as the old Ken doll)......... ken.org..it's junk ..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,094
    Originally posted by trader
    Regarding my prior post about ken.com it's odd because when I typed in the url I received a poorly done parking page (with just 1 girls barbie doll ad) instead of the Mattel site which is why I said it was a low value page. Maybe it was a typo but that makes no sense because the 2 typo possibilities ken.org and ken.net are not parked pages anyway.

    Regarding Ken.org by comparison to most other minisites it is not "junk" as you said. Please show us some of your minisites which are better for discussion purposes.
    I'll do you better..I sold a name a few months back to a member here...this is the right way

    1.The domains keyword has low compettion in the SE's
    2. has a"fair" amount of search
    3. quality product with a good PPC ratio
    4. The weight of the domain and content is enough to rank ..no backlinks needed


    search walnut floors

    perfect mini site


    btw the way..yes ken.org is junk..has NOTHING to do with the keyword "ken"

    btw ..I dont do mini sites anymore..I do still work on starter sites..sites that I plan on longer term full development..credit.ac would be a starter site..

    The purpose of a starter site is gain..

    history variable
    se bots visiting
    keeping it away from any parking penalty variables

    Purpose of a minisite is to gain income beyond parking without any further maintenance..a ever green type site
    Last edited by bidawinner; 12-14-2008 at 12:57 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    2,681
    Are you playing with the words due to a reluctance to reveal some of your url's for comparison? I classify a minisite about the same as a starter site. In fact, I intend to expand all my minisites (aka starter sites) to larger sites when I have the time and in fact am doing so on a regular basis.

    So please show us some of your so called "starter sites" by comparison to ken.org which I believe is far from being junk as you keep on saying, considering it is only a minisite (or starter site if you will).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,094
    Originally posted by trader
    Are you playing with the words due to a reluctance to reveal some of your url's for comparison? I classify a minisite about the same as a starter site. In fact, I intend to expand all my minisites (aka starter sites) to larger sites when I have the time and in fact am doing so on a regular basis.

    So please show us some of your so called "starter sites" by comparison to ken.org which I believe is far from being junk as you keep on saying, considering it is only a minisite (or starter site if you will).

    One last time ken.org is junk BECAUSE it has nothing to do with "ken" ..it's a commodity site.. hell if all he did was use Commodities.Org then it would have value

    You need to quit worrying about me ..I know what I am doing

    I've given you $1000 worth of advice for free ..you need to start thinking for yourself

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    2,681
    Originally posted by bidawinner ..you need to start thinking for yourself
    I have no idea what you are talking about and can assure you I think for myself a lot and may have more active websites (all individually custom made and unique) online than anyone else who is active on this board.

    So are you saying unless the domain matches the subject of the site it can not be successful? Of course we know that is good but it's also not mandatory.
    Last edited by trader; 12-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  

Sponsors

Ending Auctions

Poll

Would you invest in IDN domains?
1. YES! They have a huge investment upside as the global market expands expanding
2. No! Too risky
3. Maybe, but I need to understand them better.
to see the Poll results!
 
DomainState.com
Domain Tools | Domain Directory | Registrar Stats | Domain Glossary | Industry Events | FAQ | Members | Terms | RSS | Link To Us | Advertise | Contact Us
Other Related Trellian Services:
Above Domain Parking Manager   |   Free Search Toolbar   |   Free Webpage Builder   |   Keyword Research   |   Search Engine Submission   |   SEO Tools
Copyright © 2002 DomainState.com a Trellian Company