After Over 1 Million Submissions, Enom Releases The 5 Most Requested new gTLD Extensi
eNom, Inc., a top 5 ICANN accredited registrar, has been taking “expressions of interest” in new gTLD domain names from consumers since June.
eNom has received over one million submissions worldwide.
The top five new gTLD domain extensions people are most interested in are:
1) .Web 2) .Shop 3) .Hotel 4) .Family 5) .Tech “In addition to capturing real consumer interest, we use the Watchlist tool to help educate our customers and partners about the opportunities the new domain extensions create,” said Chris Sheridan, vice president of Business Development for eNom. “We believe the introduction of new TLDs will change how the world uses the Web – but we find that some organizations need help understanding how new TLDs empower people to choose memorable and intuitive domain names specific to their online ventures, such as legal services or graphic design.”
In addition to tracking registration interest for each of the new domain extensions, the eNom New TLD Watchlist also reports the most popular categories, which are:
1) Services (for example: .Attorney, .Expert, .Law, .Design, .Engineer) 2) Identity and Lifestyle (for example: .Family, .Love, .VIP, .Mom, .Health) 3) Geographic (for example: .City, .Town, .Place, .Global, .Broadway) 4) Shopping (for example: .Sale, .Store, .Buy, .Free, .Shop) 5) Technology (for example: .Web, .App, .Tech., .Blog, .Online) Additional categories with strong interest also included Novelty (for example: .Wow, .Ninja, .Today, .WTF, .Zone), Business (for example: .LLC, .INC, .Forum, .Company, .Solutions), and Leisure & Recreation (for example: .Dance, .Social, .Hotel, .Games, .Tours).
“The eNom New TLD Watchlist is a key component of our new TLD initiative that allows partners and customers to explore new domain names and register their interest,” continued Sheridan. “We are genuinely excited to see over one million expressions of interest in just five months, and we view this as a strong indicator of demand for new TLDs.”
Additional insights include:
It should be pointed out that it doesn’t cost a consumer anything to place an Expressions of Interest nor does it result in a registration for a domain name without further action and payment by the customer down the road
- .Hotel is the most popular new domain extension in South America, Europe and Asia-Pacific.
- In the Sports category, .Yoga was more popular than any other activity, including .Golf, .Rugby and .Football.
- Of the one million submissions, slightly more than half came from people in North America (55%), with Europe (29%) as the second largest group.
- .Pets is the most popular new domain extension in the General Interest category, with .Dog coming in 5th.”"